Monday, November 8, 2010

My Doula Philosophy

Lindsay’s Doula Philosophy
(which will probably be ever changing as I learn and grow)
I believe in birth. I believe moms and babies can birth together. Since having my own two completely different births, I believe that birth in America can be better. My first birth was an unnessecary cesarean because of lack of research about cesareans on my part. I never believed that would happen to me. My second birth was a vaginal birth after cesarean because I researched everything I could about birth, cesareans and how to birth better. Birth does not have to be a medical event. Birth is a miraculous event that should be viewed as beautiful and strong. Babies should come into this world as peacefully as possible and surrounded by much love.
My quest for a labor support came before I was pregnant with my second child. My doula educated me about options: possibilities of doctors, hospitals, pain relief. She completely respected my wishes were for my birth. When I was unsure, she guided me to make my own decisions. As a doula, I want to be a birth guide before, during and after pregnancy. My goal is to support in love the mother’s wishes. I want to be there as a relief for dad when he needs a break. I want to be prepared as a helpful resource throughout the journey a couple makes towards this new life. I was to be a helpful reminder to the mom to ease her fears. Especially and most importantly, my job is to always have the mother’s wishes respected and obeyed in her birth place.
The journey doesn’t end after the baby is born. I believe that a family’s first month with a newborn is really life changing, no matter how many children a couple has. I believe that a mother should be mothered beyond the birth day. Women need to feel nurtured by having their house taken care of, their meals prepared, their other children looked after and themselves given room to adjust. This may mean simply being an ear as the new mother processes her own birth. It may mean that help is given to this mother so that she feels her world at home is not falling apart as she gives everything she has to this new life she is learning to care for. I believe this first month is imperative in keeping a woman sane, and giving her permission to focus fully on nourishing her baby by breastfeeding.
I believe that birth is a journey. From conception to birth to breastfeeding and beyond, a mother has a new life that will forever change her. Not only is a mother responsible for her baby during pregnancy, she will always be connected to that child as long as she lives. The best start for baby and mother is a well educated mother about her options for care throughout this journey. Ultimately, it is she who will make the best decisions for herself. I am only a helpful guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment